Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Hoodrat Kid

I believe that people are inherently good, but that the pressures of life make them do bad things sometimes.  With that being said, I am still completely guilty of judging a person based on the way they look, and I think you're lying if you try to deny the fact that you do too.  Without stereotypes we'd all just be wandering around the world like lost puppies not knowing what to think, who to trust, and who to avoid.  We would probably have fewer social issues, but it would also be way too time consuming.  We would spend all our time getting to know people and then would get nothing else accomplished.  However, as we all know, stereotypes are not always accurate, and can sometimes leave us feeling pleasantly surprised.

Yesterday I was studying at the West Campus Library at my school.  It was late when I was leaving, and since I am new to town and campus I didn't really know how safe it would be to walk by myself to my car.  I was a little apprehensive.  I didn't have to go far so I just told myself to suck it up and be a big kid.  Let it be known that I go to school in a relatively small college town with a low crime rate, but also that being attacked is one of my biggest fears regardless of where I am.  Not seconds after walking out of the library I was approached by a hoodrat looking kid, who was smoking while on his skateboard.  The type that I would usually expect to be trouble.  For a split second my heart rate sped up because I had no clue why this kid was running at me in the dark.  Come to find out, he was hurrying to hold the door for a woman walking into the library with her hands full.  And at that moment, I was pleasantly surprised.

AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment